History – Central Lansdowne Public School

(formerly known as Koppin Yarratt)

Extracts taken from Upper Lansdowne Public School Centenary book

On 18 November 1882, a number of the then families in the district applied for a school to be built at Central Lansdowne.  Their application was recommended by Inspector M Wilks.  Until then the nearest school was at Lansdowne and this was four miles (ten kilometres) away, also Lansdowne School was at that time a half time school.

A notice appeared in the Government Gazette on 4 October 1883 stating “It is hereby notified for general information, in accordance with the provisions of the 34th section of the Public Instruction Act of 1880, that it is proposed to establish a Public School at Koppin Yarratt, near Landsdowne, Manning River.  G H REID“.

Tenders were called for a slab building at the cost of £200 ($400) but no tender at that price was received – all tenders were for a higher cost.  However, a school building with a large open fireplace was eventually built by Mr W J Smith of Cundletown and opened for teaching on 29 January 1885.  Miss A J Lee was the teacher in charge of 23 students who all enrolled during the first month of the school opening.

A newspaper article dated 19 June 1907 stated that 44 pupils were enrolled at the school.

The school became a landmark because of its unusual design and became known affectionately as the “Roundback School”.  The floor of the school was terraced – three tiers – and was furnished with long old fashioned desks with china ink wells and long wooden forms or stools to sit on.  It had thick blue glass windows and a long enclosed porch with hooks for hats and bags, and wash basins at one end.  In the early 1920’s the floor of the school was rebuilt to one level and a railed verandah added.

In November 1928 Mr L O Martin MLA received a letter from the Under Secretary of the Education Department advised that “following upon the receipt of a report upon this subject from the local Inspector of Schools, it has been decided to provide a residence at this place and a direction has accordingly been given for the preparation of the necessary plans and specifications.  Action in the matter will be expedited as much as possible.

The school’s P & C Association was formed on 1 March 1928.  Foundation office-bearers were:  President Mr A J Minett, vice-presidents Messrs J J McDonnell and T A Drury, secretary Mr A G Drury and Treasurer Mr J C Minett.

In 1935 the school hosted a large gathering of former pupils and teachers to celebrate the school’s 50th anniversary.  Former students came from as far south as Sydney and as far north as Macksville.  A highlight of these celebrations was a two tiered birthday cake decorated in red, white and blue with 50 candles on top.

The school’s name changed in the 1940s from Koppin Yarratt school to Central Lansdowne Public School so that there would be less confusion between the Central Lansdowne Post Office and the school.

On 3 September 1955, the 70th anniversary of the school was celebrated with ex-student Bishop Burgmann as guest speaker.  Many past and present pupils and friends attended.  The cake on this occasion was three tiered.  A flag pole with commemorative plaque was presented to the school at this time.

In 1960 a new school was erected by the Department of School Education or Education Department as it was then known.  The official opening took place on 17 November 1960.  Despite strong local protest the old school was removed from the site.  Members of the local community felt that the school could remain in the school grounds and could be utilised as a weather shed.  It should be noted that the old school leaked badly – probably due to the fact that local boys constantly removed pieces of the lead flashing for use in their daisy air guns.

Towards the end of the sixties pupil numbers decreased and in 1970, the last teacher, Mr Alex Rae, who had been teacher in charge for around 35 years, retired.  The school was closed at the same time.  It is understood that the school building was moved to Crowdy Head.

A number of school photos are attached below:

KOPPIN YARRATT SCHOOL PHOTO 1913

Teacher S Foster
Back Row:  A Drury, I Sheather, L Drury, PW Maddalena, C Drury, S Minett, A Studman, Lindsay Minett, J Crittenden, F Masters
Middle Row:  E McDonald, V Minett, A Minett, N Minett, B Crittenden, E Drury, Annie Crittenden, V MacDonald
Front Row:  Wes Minett, A Sheather, A Drury, D Minett, T Maddalena, Martin Crittenden, Joe Crittenden, M Miller

KOPPIN YARRATT SCHOOL PHOTO 1916

Teacher W C M Elliott
Back Row:  B Bradley, Albert Sheather, …., Wes Minett, Angus Bradley, Andrew G Drury, Stan Minett, C C Drury
Front Row:  Len Drury, Lance Tyrie, John Crittenden, Ray Minett, Cecil Minett, Harold Minett, Keith Minett, Keith Hill, Harry Bradley, William Maddalena

KOPPIN YARRATT SCHOOL PHOTOS BETWEEN 1916 – 1919

Teacher Mr W C M Elliott : Sewing teacher Miss Emiline McDonald
Back Row: …., …., Essie McDonald,…., …., …., …., Eunice McDonald
Sitting: …. …. ….  ?Pearl Drury, …., …., …., …., …., Bertha Drury

Teacher Mr W C M Elliott : Sewing Teacher Miss Jessie McDonald
Back Row:  Ray Minett, Russell Drury, Allan Martin, Bill Minett, Clarrie Drury
Second Row:  Annie Crittenden, Muriel Smith, Eunice McDonald, Kate Martin, Isobel Whatson, Harold Mudford
Third Row:  Lily Mudford, Peggy Crittenden, Bertha Drury, Hazel Tyrie, Elsie Minett
Fourth Row:  Neil Drury, Lester Minett, Ruby Whatson, Daisy Minett, Thelma Unicomb, Esbert Unicomb, Gilbert Minett, Cyril Martin
Fifth Row:  Clyde Martin, Len Drury, Keith Minett, Cecil Minett, Lance Tyrie, Harold Minett

Teacher:  Mr Elliott
Back Row:  Russell Avery, Vince Payne, Harry Mudford, Len Drury, Ray Minett, …., Bill Minett, Clarrie Drury
Second Row:  Katie Martin, Isobel Whatson, Muriel Smith, Eunice McDonald, Annie Crittenden, Essie McDonald, Eva Drury, Alan Martin
Third Row:  Geraldine Hill, Lance Tyrie, Harold Minett, Neil Drury, Gilbert Minett, Clyde Minett, Lester Minett, Cecil Minett, Peggy Crittenden, Bertha Drury, Lillie Minett
Front Row:  Elsie Minett, Hazel Tyrie, Pearl Drury, Lily Mudford, Ruby Whatson, Merlyn Minett, Fred Johnson (state ward), Frank Martin

KOPPIN YARRATT SCHOOL PHOTO 1928

Teacher  Mr James Davy  :  Sewing Teacher Mrs James Davy
Back Row:  Norm Tyrie, Eric Flemming, Tom McDonnell, Ted Unger, Walter Tyrie, Bede McDonnell, Roddy McDonald, Bill Miller, Alf McKay, Percy Minett, George McKay, Vic Hall
Middle Row:  Ray Drury, Stan Davy, Pearl Minett, Coral Whatson, Jean Flemming, Una Minett, Mary Miller, Grace Minett, Hazel Drury
Front Row:  Eric Unger, Lucy Hall, Leslie Minett, Mervyn McKay, Edna Minett, Dot Aldous, Frank Unger, Vic Minett, Noel Minett, Alan McKay, Mick Unger

KOPPIN YARRATT 1937-1938

Teacher:  Mr Alex Rae
Back Row:  Max Unger, Clem Nelson, Wallace McDonald, Duncan McKay, Arthur Willis, Charlie Unger, Reg Minett, Ron Drury, Alf Minett, Ray McKay
Middle Row:  Rosalie Fleming, Joyce Aldous, Linda Nelson, Elaine McKay, Jean McDonell, Heather McKay, Joan McDonell, Marcelle McDonell, Olive Willis, Sheila McDonell
Front Row:  Lloyd Nelson, Austin Unger, Malcolm Tyrie, Cecil Willis, Tony Unger, Bert Unger, Don Drury, Bob Minett, Alan Drury, Ken Drury.

TEACHERS APPOINTED TO KOPPIN YARRATT / CENTRAL LANSDOWNE SCHOOL

Alice Jane Lee
George W Lennan
Wm C Stewart
Ellen Kingsford
Wm. Cox
James Ray
Sidney Whaites
Hugh Murray
Arthur Jones
H Albury
A McDonald
S Forster
A L Barnes
Wm. Elliott
Frank Wharton
James Davy
William Clark
Clyde Hammond
Alexander Rae

23 December 1884
10 October 1885
30 August 1886
17 November 1886
22 March 1889
12 August 1891
6 January 1893
8 December 1897
27 December 1899
August 1904
April 1908
8 May 1912
27 May 1914
24 February 1916
3 June 1926
20 October 1926
18 January 1935
4 January 1937
8 March 1937

Central Lansdowne Public School – 1885 to 1970