Edward Drury was the 3rd child of George & Lucy (Lock) Drury and was born on the 6th April 1839 in Singleton, NSW.
Sarah Ann Unicomb, daughter of George & Anne (Gutsell) Unicomb was born 28th June 1843 at Bolwarra, NSW.
Edward & Sarah married on the 29th October 1862 in the Wesleyan Church, Jones Island by the Rev George Martin.

“Edward Drury was born at Singleton, and in youth learned the cabinet-making trade. He then was employed in a linen draper’s establishment, next in Pemell’s flourmills, and ultimately came to the Manning River. Having started on his own account, he met with reverses, and took employment at Mr Booth’s sawmills, but he returned afterwards to the Manning River, and leased the farm he now holds. In 1862 he married Miss Sarah Ann Unicomb and has eleven children.”
(Source: “Australian Men of Mark” 1788 to 1888 Volume 2 dated March 1889 by Charles F Maxwell, Victoria Chambers, Elizabeth Street, Sydney. (NB This book owned by Mr & Mrs McDougall of Croki in 1975.)
Edward Drury resided in the Manning River district for 55 years, first at Ghinni Ghinni and then at Central Lansdowne, where he spent his last 15 years. He and Sarah farmed on the property known as Blores and later as the Os Halls & Ted Aldous farms. This property is part of the Parish of Yarratt and part in the Parish of Dawson. The property was watered by the Lansdowne River immediately east of the junction with Koppin Yarratt Creek.
Many attempts were made to purchase the property, but they failed.
Edward and Sarah brought up a large family, all of whom were esteemed throughout the Manning River District.
Their daughter, Sarah Ann married Duncan McAlpine in 1886. In 1896 Sarah and Duncan moved to the area occupying the John Cross farm on the eastern side of the Lansdowne River. They remained on this farm until circa 1930 when they moved to a small house in the Lansdowne Village.
Charles Edward married Esther Isabell Ladd in 1888. Prior to his marriage he worked in the bush and cut timber with the Trotters and Belfords at Glenthorne. The newly married couple lived at Ghinni Ghinni for a few years before moving to their farm at Glenthorne.
Nathaniel married Annie Bryant in 1890. He was a qualified Blacksmith. Ill health forced him to give up Blacksmithing to become a dairy farmer at Oxley Island. They rented a farm beside the Pampoolah punt.
William Henry married Louisa Ruprecht in 1893. They lived in the Wallsend area before moving to Upper Lansdowne about 1910. Edward purchased their farm at Upper Lansdowne. William and Louisa paid him back in full. The farm is about 5 miles further towards the mountains from the Blore farm. The farm was watered by the Koppin Yarratt Creek. They left that farm in 1922. William’s brother Jonas purchased the farm. The farm is now back in the hands of Kenneth Lester Drury, William’s grandson.
George married Mary Alma Bignell in 1898. George was diagnosed with diabetes and died in 1900 aged 28 years, a month before his son George was born.
Jonas married Kate Isabelle Bignell in 1899. Jonas retired early and moved onto Taree. He and Kate had no children however they took in Eunice Aurerila (known as Rillie), the daughter of George and Alma after the early death of her father George.
Edwin James married Louisa Hammond in 1901. They never lived in the Lansdowne area. However, they engaged in farming and crops at Moto, Mitchells Island and Ghinni Ghinni. Ed was known for using his horses and two furrow plough to come to the assistance of others.
Thomas Andrew married Selina Bignell in 1901. It should be noted that three Bignell sisters (from a local Lansdowne family) married into the family of Edward and Sarah Drury.
Thomas, known as Andrew, moved to Central Lansdowne with his parents circa 1898. He worked on their farm until he married Selina. Their first home was situated about where the Leedhams now live [as at 1997]. He was able to purchase 50 acres immediately north of the Blores property. They named the property “Lynbourne”.
Firstly, pigsty’s were built. About 1915 they were able to move into their new home, which still stands [on the 50 acres known as ‘Lynbourne’]. In 1909 Andrew and Lena purchased an additional 135 acres east of the Upper Lansdowne Road for 300 pounds. When Thomas and Selina retired their son Ronald Drury and his wife Millie (nee Atkins) took over the farm moving into the family farmhouse. A smaller house was built for Thomas and Selina near the original house. When they passed away the house was moved by George Atkins a mile down the Central Lansdowne Road to the McDonald farm. See the separate story of Thomas Andrew & Selina (Bignell) Drury for their full story.
Alfred Ernest married Laura Minett in 1903. Alfred worked on the Blores property with his parents. When he married Laura their first home was an old house situated on a southerly point about 100m from the river (the house has long gone) on the farm. Alfred later built a new house about 100m north of the family home, six of their children were born while they lived on the Lansdowne. In 1921 Alf moved to Jones Island onto the farm which George and Ann Unicomb brought in 1857. Alfred purchased this farm ‘Univale’ from his brother Nathaniel Drury in 1916.
Harold Manning married Florence Mann in 1916. Harold moved to Central Lansdowne with his parents working alongside them on the Blores farm. Harold was living with his parents when Edward died in 1913. He stayed on the farm to care for his mother Sarah. After Harold married Florence, his mother Sarah lived on with them for a few years before she decided to live between her 10 children until her death in 1933.
When the lease on the Blores farm expired Harold purchased a farm at Hannam Vale from Mrs Laura Leaver (formally Buttsworth).
Allan Stanley married Florence Cassie in 1909. He moved with his parents to Central Lansdowne. It is thought that Stan went to work for Charles Payne on a farm about four miles further up from the Blores property at an early age. He was living at Upper Lansdowne at the time of his father Edward’s death. They lived at Upper Lansdowne for some time before moving to Taree Estate in about 1922 where he grew vegetables. In 1926 he moved to Bowraville. He purchased a butchers shop in Bowraville where he worked until his retirement.
“Destructive storm – At the Old Bar hail accompanied the storm. On Saturday afternoon heavy rain again descended, 97 points being registered at the Taree Post and Telegraph office – making a total of 141 points for the two days.
The windstorm on Friday last was very severe also on the Lansdowne and Upper Camden Haven. Mr E Drury of Lansdowne had a cow killed and Mr Jas Worrall of Camden Haven had a valuable horse killed, both by falling trees.”
Source: Manning River Times 20 December 2005 – News Flashback from the Times 1905.
Edward was a staunch adherent of the Salvation Army, and his noble deeds and his up righteousness throughout life won him the respect of the whole community. Sarah was a woman of deep religious convictions and regularly attended church services. She was a member of the Salvation Army for the last 30 years of her life where she was regarded amongst them as a mother.
Sarah was typical of the hardy, warm hearted and cheerful women who helped their menfolk in pioneering the district. When she entered upon her married life, the district was in a largely undeveloped state, with primitive means of communication. In common with most mothers of those days, Mrs Sarah Drury provided with her own hands, a big proportion of the daily needs of her large family, and yet found time and energy to help her neighbours when sickness or bereavement visited them.
She was charitable to a fault and looked for the best in others no matter what their misfortune.
On October 29th, 1912, the grand old couple celebrated their golden wedding at a picnic at Sandy Point, Lansdowne River, where, in addition to 70 immediate relatives, many friends were present to congratulate Mr Edward and Mrs Sarah Drury on celebrating the 50th anniversary of their wedding.

From the family album comes this photo of Edward and Sarah Drury’s golden wedding anniversary picnic at Sandy Point, Lansdowne on 29 October 1912.
Drury family members and friends pictured are:
Standing back: Ensign CF Hoepper, Alma, Arthur, Stan with Allan, Mary Duncan with Connie, Elsie and Alex (McAlpin), Jonas and Kate, Charles, Eva (Nat’s), Harold, Sophie, Alf with Neil, Alf (Nat’s), Len (Charles);
Standing forward: Elsie (m Cause), Annie (Nat’s), Hilda, Reg (Charles), George, Laura, Jack, Andrew McAlpin;
Seated: Louise and Edwin with Les, Millie and Ilma, Louise and William, Sarah and Edward, Percy (Nat’s), Sarah McAlpin, Nathaniel, Lena and Andrew with Bertha, Florrie (Mrs Stan), Millie McAlpin, Daisy;
Seated on ground: Mary Stace, Pearl (Alf’s), Percy (Ed’s), Ethel, Florence, Adelaide, Lester (William’s), Ivy, Ernie, Edna McAlpin, Len (Alf’s), Lillian (Charles), Eva (Alf’s), Andrew (A G), Clarrie, Ada, Annie McAlpin, Rillie, Daisy Tyrie, Elvy, Clarice.
Compiled by Glenda (Drury) Dutton from “Cameos Of Our Dear Friends” by Dorothy (Wynn) Drury, family stories and articles in the Manning River Times.
Remembering the pioneering families of Upper Lansdowne and Koppin Yarratt (now Central Lansdowne) in 2020.
William Henry Drury 4th child of Edward and Sarah
Extract from “Cameos Of Our Dear Friends” by Dorothy Drury 1997
William was born on 8 June 1869 at Ghinni Ghinni the 4th child of Edward and Sarah.
When work was scarce, he went to Newcastle, finding work in the coal mines at Wallsend. He bought a grocery store at Wallsend.
Louisa Ruprecht (born 27 January 1873) also went to Newcastle for employment. She worked for William in the store, while he delivered the orders.
One day her sister remarked that she wished Louisa and William would marry, or people will talk, Louisa was not quite 21. (They married on 31 August 1893 at Wallsend).
William worked for some time in the coke ovens at the Wallsend mines, and Louisa ran the store.

About 1910 they returned to the Manning and moved onto the farm at Upper Lansdowne where they had four more children, Linda, William Lester, Florence and Lima.
The farm was owned by Mr T Biddle, then sold to George Baulman (two of the gentlemen named in the Literary Society). Baulman wished to sell it, but William did not have enough money to buy it at the time. His father Edward was able to buy it, and William had repaid him in full before Edwards death.
Edward’s name is on the area maps of that time, and this has led to some confusion as to which farm Edward and Sarah ran at Lansdowne. This farm is about 5 miles further towards the mountains than the Blore farm. But they were both watered by the Koppin Yarratt Creek.
At one stage William had a bullock team; it could have been while he was on the farm, as no doubt there was quite a lot of timber to be cleared.
At the 1976 Reunion, Florrie spoke of her father as Bandmaster, and a good home life was given to them even though there was not a lot of money around in those days. But those of them who wished were able to learn music.
The children, as did most farm children, helped on the farm. Mildred longed to be a nurse, but her father felt he could not afford to pay for her to become a nurse. However, she was determined to work at the Manning Base Hospital, so she applied for work there as a cook.
As children, Louisa would not allow them in the kitchen, but Mildred became a beautiful cook and stayed with the hospital until she married at 21.
About 1922 William and Louisa left the farm through illness. They moved to 15 Stevenson Street, Taree.
He built three more homes alongside his home and rented them out. Beside these homes is a lane which is still known as Drury Lane. William continued to play in the Salvation Army band.
The farm was purchased by his brother Jonas (11/7/1927), then to Colin Klien Bennett (19/8/1943), then to William Lester Drury (10/6/1950), William and Louisa’s only son. It is now owned by Lester’s son, Kenneth Lester Drury, who runs it with his wife, Heather and family.
Lester and Ken have also farmed at Dumaresq Island. Ken entered and won the State Ploughing Championships, ten years in succession, winning the first time at Nabiac Showground. From thirteen championships, Ken has won eleven, with two seconds. He still owns and is famous for his horses. (Editor’s note: Ken died in 2020)
When Mildred married James Reed, he was a carrier with his father, William Reed, but James and Mildred later moved onto a farm at Jones Island. From there they moved to an orchard at Cardiff Heights and later onto acres at Turramurra, Sydney, where they grew flowers for the market for some years. Then they built a block of shops and opened one for themselves as a mixed business where they stayed for the rest of their lives. Mildred’s son Kenneth became a gunner in an anti-aircraft unit in Darwin in World War II.
William’s wife Louisa lived to be 97 years of age and until she was well into her 90’s she had a cow or two and neighbours came to her door in Stevenson Street to buy milk and home-made butter.
All the family married and went their own way. Most to the city except Lester who stayed on the farm. Many of the family are back now in retirement.
Footnote: William Henry died on 4 March 1952 aged 82 and Louisa died on 11 June 1970 aged 97.
Thomas Andrew Drury 8th child of Edward and Sarah

Thomas Andrew Drury (usually called Andrew) born 28th July, 1878, at Ghinni Ghinni, was the 8th child of Edward and Sarah Drury.
Andrew came to the Lansdowne with his parents and brothers, Alf, Harold and (Allan) Stanley. The family settled on the property known as the Blores and later as the Os Halls & Ted Aldous farms (they had married the Blore girls).
The family worked together for some time, but as the boys married there was the need to expand.
Andrew married Selina Ada Bignell (known as Lena), 13th February, 1901, the third of the Drury brothers to marry one of the Bignell sisters. The Bignells were also living at Lansdowne.
They were married in the Taree Methodist Church, Andrew arriving after a sixteen mile ride on horseback. Lena used the alternate mode of transport – the spring-cart! They were married for 65 years and celebrated both their Golden and Diamond Wedding with family functions.
Andrew and Lena had a family of 4 boys and 5 girls. They were:
Ada Annie married Harold James Hudson
Andrew George married Eunice Myrtle McDonald
Clarence Charles married Ellen Irene Sowter
Thelma died in infancy
Bertha married Edward Aldous
Vera Selina married William Leslie Duke
Hazel Eveline married Harold William Bonnor
Raymond Robert married Joan Francis
Ronald Stanley married Millie Irene Atkins
He was able to purchase 50 acres immediately north of the Blores, named it ‘Lynbourne’ and worked it in conjunction with their current interests while gradually establishing their own property and business.
There was an ‘old shack’ on this property where an elderly bachelor lived. (He was allowed to stay on there.)
Firstly, pigstys were built, these were only demolished after Peters Creameries commenced liquid milk collection in 1938. About 1915 they were able to move into their new home, which still stands on the 50 acres. It was built by Bill Unicomb (Andrew’s uncle) with Chris and Bert Minett, to the north of the pigstys. In 1909 Andrew and Lena purchased an additional 135 acres east of the Upper Lansdowne Road for £300.
They followed the general farming activities of the district. Andrew was a very quiet man. He was a good gardener and loved his garden, spending many happy hours there. When Andrew and Lena retired, their youngest son Ron and his wife Millie (nee Atkins) took over the farm. A smaller house was built for Andrew and Lena nearby. When they passed away the house was sold and moved by George Atkins with his bulldozer a mile or so down the road to the McDonald farm for their son David and his new wife Tricia. A G did the carpentry work associated with its removal.
As times progressed with modern machinery and techniques requiring larger properties to make a living, Ron and Millie sold ‘Lynbourne’ about 1970 and moved to Taree. Ron, as did most of the family, joined the GUOOF Lodge and rose to the position of Grand Master of the State.
Sons Andrew (often called A G) and Clarrie (often called C C) were able to rent the Baulman’s farm on the western side of the river. C C later moved on to other farms. A G stayed, was later able to purchase it and named it ‘Banksia’. Both sons established Guernsey Studs, and had many prize animals. One of A G’s, “Banksia Flower Girl”, was Champion Guernsey Cow three years in succession at the Sydney Royal Show. They were both highly regarded as Judges for the Guernsey Section of Local and State Shows.
Ray joined the RAAF in World War II, he became a pilot, with the rank of Flight Officer, and married while in England. After the war he worked in Sydney with an Electronics firm, rising to be the manager.
Andrew George Drury 2nd child of Thomas and Selina

Andrew Drury and Eunice McDonald married on 11 April 1928 at Koppin Yarratt Methodist Church. The attending witnesses were Essie McDonald and Len Drury. The couple travelled by train for their honeymoon at Glen Innes.
The couple settled and farmed on the property known as ‘Banksia’ at Central Lansdowne, NSW. This property was located across the river from the family home of Selina and Thomas Drury known as ‘Lynbourne’.
Previously Andrew and his brother Clarrie leased this property off Mike Brougham. They batched in the small box shaped house, which at that time was then located on the high riverbank. Clarrie married first and moved to the property further up the river that we knew as Robert Crittenden’s. Andrew continued to farm the property with help.
The small box shaped house was moved to its present site on the western side of Upper Lansdowne Road, by a bullock team. Andrew added a veranda around the ‘box’ and built an outside wash shed. Andrew was a self-taught builder learning his skills mainly from his uncle Bill Unicomb. Andrew renewed the veranda and turned the back section into a new kitchen and workers room for the farm hands.
Life was busy on the farm and in the house. Eunice always did a big bake on Fridays and the children cleaned all the shoes on Saturday, ready for church. The family attended the Koppin Yarratt church
(later known as Central Lansdowne) followed by visits to either of the couple’s parents for a traditional baked dinner. Both sets of parents lived within 3 miles of ‘Banksia’ and attended the same Sunday church service. There was strictly no work on Sunday’s. Monday was washday.
Andrew and Eunice built up a Guernsey Stud from the purchase of 2 cows (Amy and Leta) from Glen Ewan Stud. The Stud was registered as ‘Banksia’ and Guernsey cattle were successfully shown at Taree, Wingham, Kempsey, Wauchope, Macksville, and Bellingen shows.
Eunice and Andrew were active Christian Endeavour members at all levels of the organization (that is, local, district, state and national) as indeed were both of their families and their own children.
Their children are Kenneth, Donald, Elton, Beryl, Beverley and Ivan.
The children attended Koppin Yarratt School later known as Central Lansdowne. Eunice and Andrew had also attended this school as indeed had James McDonald the father of Eunice and Selina Bignell the mother of Andrew. The children of Kenneth were also to attend this same school. The building of the new Central Lansdowne Methodist church and consequent dedication on 2nd October 1948 was a joyous occasion for the Drury and McDonald families. Andrew was a member of the building team.
In 1954 Eunice and Andrew moved to Port Macquarie along with their 2 youngest children Beverley and Ivan. Andrew built their house.
Andrew took up building with Vince Unicomb, Dan and Dave Slyney. They were involved in building the Scott’s Head CYC campsite, Port Macquarie Methodist Church, Bonny Hills Youth Centre and flats in Port Macquarie. Eunice passed away in 1972 at Port Macquarie and Andrew passed away in 1984 in Sydney.
Information and photos supplied by Glenda (Drury) Dutton